DIY Laundry Pods
Have you ever looked at the ingredients in your laundry detergent and found that there are no ingredients listed but there is a huge WARNING label? Many of the big name laundry detergents out there contain a petrochemical solvent, 1,4-dioxane, which is classified by the EPA as a human carcinogen, is often found in varnishes and paints. Propylene glycol is another common ingredient found in laundry detergent. Propylene glycol is a known hormone disruptor and is also found in anti-freeze.
We live in clothing, sleep in sheets, dry off with towels... all washed with these harmful chemicals. Sweating in our clothes helps these chemicals seep into our skin even easier.
Here is a link to all P&G Laundry product Ingredients. Water is the only natural ingredient listed.
Make Your Own Laundry Pods
You will need:
- 3 Cups Washing Soda (NOT Borax)
- 1 cup Fels-Naptha (grated)
- 4 T Epsom Salt
- 6 T Hydrogen Peroxide
- 1/2 Cup Vinegar
- Essential Oil of Choice (30 drops)
- Mix Fels-Naptha, Washing Soda, & Epsom Salt
- Add Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar, mixture should resemble wet sand
- Add Essential Oil
- Press into tablespoon size balls and drop onto a lined cookie sheet
- Let dry for 8 hours, store in airtight container
- Use 1 pod per load